Our History

Take a look at our history

1932 -  25 gathered in the home of Dr. and Mrs. Randolph McCutcheon.  This group                    grew           to 63 when they met at Flora Hill High School, where it was organized as         Immanuel Baptist Church in August. Received into the Petersburg Baptist        Association in September.  Moved into a basement of a brick and frame structure in November. Rev. E.L. Snellings was called as pastor.

 

1933  Dr. Robert T. Marsh was called to be pastor of 105 members.  Dr. Marsh died in 1941.  The church had grown to 366 members.

 

1941  Rev. O. W. Patterson became pastor on November 1, 1941.  Membership grew to 592 in 1953 at the time he retired due to health reasons.  Two lots were purchased for needed expansion.  Ground was broken in 1950 for a new education building.  Completed in September 1951, the first wedding reception was held for Joyce Cain and Henry Simmons.

 

1953  Rev. W. E .Caudill was installed as Pastor until January 1955.  102 members were received.

 

1955  Rev. Dalton Ward became pastor until 1969.  SS attendance was 448 after a revival during Rev. Wards second week at IBC.  Two AM worship services were started until the completion of present sanctuary in 1960.The Lottie Moon Memorials and Honors book was started in 1956 and the radio ministry was begun at the PM service for many years.  In 1964, Immanuel started a new Mission, Mount Pleasant Baptist Church.  Also, a week-day kindergarten Program was started reaching over 700 children during the ten years of its operation.

 

1969  Rev. Charles H. Landers served as pastor until he resigned 1971.

 

1972  Rev. Charles Thompson became pastor in April and served until December 1984.  Giving to Cooperative Program and all mission offerings increased during this period.  A debt free note-burning was held during IBC’s 40th Anniversary.  The adult choir gave 27 presentations of “I Love America” to local churches and throughout North Carolina and Richmond.

 

1985  Rev. Robert Baker served IBC from Jan. 1985 to Dec. 1995.  Emphasis was given to servant ministry outside the church walls.

 

1996  Rev. Cecil J. (Jerry) Parker returned from missionary service in Bogota, Columbia and became Interim Pastor in March 1996.  He was called as pastor in August 1996.  Awareness of world missions increased and a new emphasis was given to ministry with children.  A Boston piano was purchased in March of 2000 as well as a new Rodger organ in 2001.  Renovations of the old courtyard was completed in June 2004 and now serves as the atrium.  Fulfilling a call from God to return to missions, Rev. Parker resigned on March 31, 2007.

 

2007  Rev. David Prather was called as pastor Dec. 2007 and served until August 2009.

 

2010  Rev. Fred K. Adkins Jr. became interim pastor in March 2010 and has served as Pastor, Music Director and Administrator until the present.  He has been dedicated to bringing our church together, focusing on the will of God, and the   the Holy Spirit with continual strong mission emphasis, and strong music program, worship and encouraging membership and service.

 

2012 Rev. Fred K. Adkins Jr. was called as Senior Pastor on August 12, 2012. He faithfully served our congregation until his retirement November, 2015.

 



Comments